Common Comorbidities with Substance Use Disorder
Many individuals that struggle with substance abuse disorder may also have a common comorbidity as well. Read on to learn more about common comorbidities.
What is Comorbidity?
Comorbidity has been defined by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) as two or more disorders or illnesses that have been diagnosed in the same person. In most cases, the combination of illnesses may either lead to new symptoms or worsening of current symptoms.
Table of Contents
Learn More About Ripple Ranch Recovery Center
Comorbidity vs. Dual Diagnosis
Statistics on Common Comorbidities
These disorders can happen in almost anyone and may be affected by multiple aspects. Keep reading to learn about common comorbidities.
Comorbidity Causes and Diagnosis
Although it may seem that one of these disorders may directly cause the other, this is not always the case. Common comorbidities may share common risk factors. A medical professional can assist patients with identifying causes of a dual diagnosis.
Causes of Comorbidity
How is Comorbidity Diagnosed?
Common Comorbidities and Conditions
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depressive disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Mood disorders
Comorbidity Symptoms and Risk Factors
Comorbidity Treatment Options
How to Treat Comorbid Substance Abuse Disorders?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an effective treatment for anxiety and depression, and it also shows strong efficacy for the treatment of substance use disorders. Dialectical-behavior therapy is based on CBT and was specifically designed to reduce drug use. It is also a proven treatment option for borderline personality disorder. Lastly, a particularly successful treatment approach is therapeutic treatment programs. Therapeutic treatments offer long-term residential treatment services that are designed to assist patients with resocialization and recovery as it occurs alongside fellow residents. 8
Contact Ripple Ranch Recovery Center Today
Ripple Ranch Recovery Center will work with you or a loved one in order to provide the highest quality comorbid substance abuse treatment. Whether a patient is experiencing challenges with common comorbidities or entirely different obstacles to their wellness, we are here for support. We assist patients with dual diagnosis and follow-up treatment that includes long-term residential care, medication-assisted therapy, and different therapy modalities to help fit your needs.
Reach Out and Begin Healing
- 4 https://www.mentalhealth.gov/what-to-look-for/mental-health-substance-use-disorders
- 5 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2904966/
- 6 https://www.unodc.or/documents/drug-prevention-and-treatment/UNODC_Comorbidities_in_drug_use_disorders.pdf
- 7 https://www.samhsa.gov/medications-substance-use-disorders/medications-counseling-related-conditions/co-occurring-disorders
- 8 https://nida.nih.gov/publications/research-reports/common-comorbidities-substance-use-disorders/what-are-treatments-comorbid-substance-use-disorder-mental-health-conditions