Benefits of Yoga in Mental Wellness
What is Yoga and How Does it Work?
Yoga is an ancient practice that involves breathing exercises and poses that center the mind, body, and spirit. Practicing yoga also offers numerous benefits for physical and emotional well-being. Yoga originated in India over 5,000 years ago. Since then, the practice has spread across the world and evolved into the modern exercise we see today, which focuses on breathing and holding specific poses and postures.1 Read on to learn more about the benefits of yoga.
Table of Contents
Learn More About Ripple Ranch Recovery Center
Types of Yoga
- Vinyasa, which involves a steady flow of different posest
- Hatha, which tends to be slower-paced
- Ashtanga, which features poses in a specific order
- Kundalini, which involves chanting
- Yin, which is more focused on stretching
What are the Health Benefits of Yoga?
Physical Benefits of Yoga
- Relief from back pain
- Less joint pain
- Improved flexibility
- Increased strength
- Improved balance and mobility
Mental Health Benefits of Yoga
- Decreased depression
- Release of feel-good chemicals in the brain
- Reduced stress
- Decreased anxiety
- Improved sleep
- Promotion of other healthy habits
How Does Yoga Affect Mental Health?
Regulates Your Nervous System Response
Yoga Helps with Stress Relief and Reduces Anxiety
Yoga for Depression
Yoga is a way to naturally increase serotonin, which is known as the “feel good” chemical. This helps to improve depression because research indicates low serotonin levels may contribute to depression.
How can Yoga Help Burnout?
Because yoga focuses on tuning into the present moment, it can help to reduce feelings of stress and burnout. Studies also show that yoga can decrease symptoms of anxiety and depression, which contribute to burnout. Additionally, the exhaustion that comes along with burnout can be alleviated by a yoga practice.
How Does Yoga Compare with Other Forms of Exercise?
Yoga vs. Exercise
Yoga Improves the Quality of Life
Better Sleep Cycle
Long-Term Health Benefits
What Does Research Show About the Benefits of Yoga?
Learn What Ripple Ranch Recovery Has to Offer
On top of evidence-based therapies, Ripple Ranch Recovery offers a holistic approach to recovery. This means that your healing journey involves focusing not just on healing addiction, but also on healing the mind, body, and spirit, which can be achieved through incorporating yoga into your treatment plan. You will experience the benefits of yoga first-hand with our highly-trained instructors.
Reach Out and Begin Healing
Whether you’re seeking inpatient, outpatient, or detox care, Ripple Ranch Recovery can help you on your road to recovery. Mental health conditions and addiction often go hand-in-hand, which is why we focus on addiction treatment first and work to improve mental health second.
The care you receive while in treatment at Ripple Ranch Recovery doesn’t end once you complete your program – we are dedicated to giving you ongoing care and support through aftercare programs that can keep you on track and enrich your life. To find out more about Ripple Ranch Recovery Center, or if you are looking to learn more about the benefits of yoga, call 830-494-4717.
- 2 https://www.everydayhealth.com/yoga/
- 4 https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/the-physical-benefits-of-yoga
- 5 https://www.webmd.com/balance/benefits-of-yoga-for-mental-health
- 6 https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness/yoga-for-stress#the-science
- 7 https://www.nbcnews.com/better/health/what-yoga-does-your-brain-ncna794531
- 8 https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/8753-201512048753#:~:text=A%20national%20survey%20found%20that,longer%20and%20continue%20to%20breathe
- 9 https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/exercise-help-addiction-recovery